Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

What are your favorite hiking books?


Hiking Trip Reports 

Favorite Hiking Books

If you’re like me you don’t get to spend as much time on the trail as you’d like. But thanks to many great books we get to experience the outdoors through great novels and non-fiction books as well as location guides and hiking guides. Below are some of my favorite outdoor books. Most are about hiking, but a few are outdoor adventures that have inspired and moved me. If you have a favorite be sure to tell me about it and I’ll include it here for others to find. I would love to talk to authors of guides and outdoor adventure books.
Hiking Trails of North Georgia – This book was given to me as a gift years ago.  I still have my original copy that I keep in my truck.  The pages have been dogeared and the cover is now faded, but I love it so much I can’t make myself buy a new copy.  This book has given me the information I needed for some great hikes.  If you’re going to do any hiking in Georgia this is my top pick.
The Backpacker’s Handbook – Even old time hikers will benefit from the wealth of knowledge included in this book, and those new to hiking can quickly become pros by taking advantage of the experience shared.  If you’re only going to buy one book on hiking this is the book.
Seven Summits – This true story of two men that conquered the highest peaks on each continent will inspire you to do more.  Not just in your outdoor adventures, but in your life.
Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster – Even my mother loved this book, and her idea of an outdoor adventure is a day on the beach. Krakauer tells a riveting story that established him as one of the great non-fiction writers of our time.
White Fang – This is a story that stands the test of time, and is a great read for anyone that loves the outdoors.   After reading this you’ll understand why it inspired so many explorers and adventure junkies.
A Walk in the Woods –  If you’ve even thought of hiking the Appalachian Trail this book is for you, but even if you haven’t this is still a great story by a highly entertaining and thought provoking travel writer, Bill Bryson.
Visit HikingtripReports.com
Hiking Trip Reports is designed for the new and the experienced hiker. It's a hiking blog where you can get daily tips, gear reviews, and outdoor adventure news. You can read guest post from outdoor gurus, offer your own suggestions via comments, and share posts with friends and family. This is hiking blog is for you! 
Another favorite book is "Hikes with Tykes" by avid hiker Rob Bignell. “Hikes with Tykes: A Practical Guide to Day Hiking with Kids,”which is about Trail Etiquette all Children Should Learn, available at Amazon.
Want to get involved in something cool? Calling all citizen scientists and outdoor enthusiasts - our next Virginia Master Naturalist basic training will be held at The Franklin Center in Downtown Rocky Mount beginning March 2012, feel free to email us for more details: contact@brfal.org or visit our website for the draft schedule of classes hereLearn more about the Virginia Master Naturalist program here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment and interest! NOW GO OUTSIDE!