Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2015




Not a Monarch caterpillar !!
Meg  Brager 9/9/15
Out in my garden a few weeks  ago  I spotted about 15 of these guys devouring my milkweed.  I got excited thinking they were monarchs, but…..no.  They are Milkweed Tiger moth caterpillars, sometimes called Milkweed Tussock Moths.   They do mirror the coloring of the monarch butterfly, orange and black, and they are poisonous to predators thanks to the milkweed.  But they mature into a moth, not a monarch.  They seem to have similar voracious appetites, though, they plowed through my milkweed in short order.  At least something is benefiting from it, as I have not spotted one Monarch.  But there is always next year!


Learn more at:







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment and interest! NOW GO OUTSIDE!