Pages

Saturday, September 2, 2017

MYSTERY TREE FINALLY IDENTIFIED!

It all began years ago, during one of my many walks through our woods. I have always enjoyed identifying tree species and this one had me stumped. I had keyed it out and my tentative id was American Plum, but without hard evidence of its fruit, I hesitated. I was never down in that area when the fruit was evident.

Now that fall is approaching, it’s time to replace old No Hunting signs along the boundary lines and I am ahead of schedule this year. Usually I don’t get down ‘there’ until the weather cools and various forest slitherers and bothersome ticks are less apt to spoil a good hike. But I felt bold today, and luck was looking upon me. As I was walking, along the property line, head down with an eye out for potential ankle twisters, I spotted something new…a red fruit, the size of a cherry, sitting on the ground. Looking up, I realized I was already at the mystery tree. And it was full of the fruit! It was certainly, to me anyway, an AHA! moment.

I gathered some up, leaving plenty for wildlife. Without hesitating, I trudged all the way home to get my camera, lest a strong wind came along and blew the fruit off the branches. Again, lucky me, I am a quick walker, and the fruit were still hanging on by the time I returned.

The American Plum (Prunus Americana) is also known as Wild Plum, August Plum or Hog Plum, and is a small native tree, often shrubby in form. It needs no special treatment and is found in uncultivated areas, often along fencerows. The leaves are alternate, simple, obovate to oblong-ovate, 2-4 inches long and serrated. The fruit is ¾ -1”, red when ripe, sweet tasting with a single pit for a seed.

I learned a valuable lesson today. When you walk the same walk, the same way each time, you will miss out on so many unique opportunities. Change it up a bit. Take a different path from the normal routine and you will be rewarded.

Submitted by Kathy Scott, Master Naturalist

                    Blue Ridge Foothills and Lakes Chapter of VMN
American Plum and Pawpaw fruits

Distinctive shape of American Plum

Ripe fruit of American Plum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment and interest! NOW GO OUTSIDE!