Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Biggie - Our first monarch released to nature!

 My wife Meg managed to get 3 monarch caterpillars from a friend at a local nursery that sells milkweed (see post below).
 She bought a mesh container and outfitted it with milkweed and placed the caterpillars inside.  We named them Biggie, Littley and Biggie II.  Our imagination knows no bounds. 

All 3 have since pupated with Biggie being the oldest.  So when Biggie's pupa became transparent, we knew thinks would be happening soon.  I was anxious to try out my new time lapse photography app on my camera.  With some difficulty I got it all set up and when I went back to aim the camera, Biggie had already emerged from the pupa!

Undaunted, I aimed the camera at the new butterfly.  It would take a picture every 30 seconds for a couple of hours.  So nothing much happened for a couple of hours except the battery in the camera going flat.  So I took the camera to take care of that and when I came back Biggie had flown the coup!  I did find him on our sidewalk.  He moved to our garage door frame and was hanging there.

I had hoped to get a video of him flying off.  I checked on him every so often and he would flap his wings but not take off.  Finally I went back and he was gone!  Oh no!  But as I walked up, he flew out from a bush he was hiding in, too fast for me to get a picture buy not too fast for me to wish him bon voyage.  Now....back to Littley and Biggie II...…..






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment and interest! NOW GO OUTSIDE!