Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Leaf Litter Surprise


Sunday night I was in the woods later than I meant to be, so I called on my new super-bright headlamp to make it the last little bit home. As I walked I began to see tiny points of bright neon green in the leaf litter around me. These continued all along the path, in clusters and singly, but all a startling green. I thought, “Maybe water droplets? Maybe glints of light off the mica that is so prevalent?” So I picked out one bright light to zero in on and put my face close to the ground to discover…

Spider’s eyes!
Yikes!

I do not particularly fear or dislike spiders, but if the little green lights each belonged to one of these creatures, they were everywhere! Later I called on our master-master naturalist, Todd, and he reassured me, “Seems like you are describing one of the wolf spiders…most reflect green light.”

Professorially, he referred me to an article which describes how the structure of the secondary eyes of lycosoid spiders reflects green light. The eyeshine occurs when light hits the eye at just the right angle, not unlike “red eye” in our favorite family photos. “This guanine-based reflective surface is thought to increase visual capabilities in low light.” https://bioone.org/journals/the-journal-of-arachnology/volume-41/issue-1/B12-35.1/Reflections-on-the-tapetum-lucidum-and-eyeshine-in-lycosoid-spiders/10.1636/B12-35.1.short 

I had to refer to other sources to confirm that “secondary eyes” in spiders are the eyes on the sides of their heads. These give spiders nearly 360 degree vision! https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/invertebrates/group/wolf-spider/#/wolf-spider.jpg

Next time you shuffle through the leaf litter, just think of who may be out there! And know that they are watching...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment and interest! NOW GO OUTSIDE!