Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2022

Piedmont Beech Natural Area





Recently a friend declared to me that the American beech was her favorite tree. I had never really considered what my favorite tree was, and her passionate declaration made me want to learn more about the beech. 


 After a little research into the American beech, I learned some cool facts about this majestic ornamental shade tree:

  • You better have some patience after you plant it- it’s a very slow grower.

  • It’s easy to grow in the clay soil of the Piedmont.

  • It loves a bluff and can be found thriving on some very steep hillsides.

  • It’s a biggie– growing to heights of 50 to 70 feet with limbs that look like elephant legs.

  • It has versatile nuts that can be made into a hot drink, and also make a good snack for squirrels, chipmunks and birds.

  • The wood is hard and handy for making furniture, ship keels and tools.

  • There’s a lot of folklore around its wood and branches– Druids said the fallen branches could be wished upon and placed in the soil for the fairies to grant your wish.


And most exciting– there’s a national preserve for the beech tree in our region, the Piedmont Beech Natural Area.  The area is restricted, and a permit is required to enter the 61 acre area inside Umstead State Park in Cary, North Carolina. My friend and I filed for permission and were granted access. What a treat! 


The beech trees in the preserve are towering, with large canopies that shade the wide creek that runs through the area, Crabtree Creek. The terrain is mostly untouched and peaceful, but very steep. If you go, be prepared for a serious hike! But also, be prepared, that you, too, may arrive at the same claim as my friend and suddenly declare as I did, “the American beech is my favorite tree!”

photo credit: Jill Straight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment and interest! NOW GO OUTSIDE!